Friday, May 09, 2008

Like Finding a Wedding Dress

I've found that some of the most joyous occasions can bring about some monster stress. All you brides: Remember trying on all those different wedding dresses? For some, this may have been more stressful than it was for others, but nonetheless, you wanted to find "the one". Again, most brides will say that they knew when they found it. You turned around, looked in the mirror and thought or said "this is it!"
Well, I have to say that looking for nursery bedding has been plaguing me much the same way. I have looked at hundreds of sets - boys, girls, neutrals - and none have caught my eye. Sure there have been lots of cute ones (just as brides will say there are many beautiful dresses), but none have really jumped out......until now!!!!
Well, I have been thinking lots about this, and decided that I wanted to be practical (surprise surprise). After assessing the price tags on all these different baby items, it seemed irrational to cater to one particular sex in terms of nursery decor. What if this one is a boy, but the next one is a girl, or visa verse? What a waste it would be to have to re-do everything all over again (for all those who don't know this is my frugal, practical side screaming out). This stuff is just too cute to use just once!
The added pressure came when the flooring came in. We would like to get this stuff installed and situated, and we can't install until we paint. But we can't paint until we have the bedding picked out!!! Aye yi yi!
Alas, after many hours of browsing, I finally found it! Cuteness abounds, and all is well. Once I found it I immediately had to start praying that Nick would like it, too. Some of you may not know, but he can be particularly opinionated and involved in many selections - everything from wedding color to tile for our house, to paint colors, to nursery bedding. I can't say that I would rather have it the other way, because it is fun learning to compromise and come up with things that we are both happy with. I think it makes it more "ours". :) Fortunately, Nick agreed to the bedding, so we are set! Now we can get all our paint at Lowe's tomorrow! I present to you our choice for Peanut (bedding only, Nick and I haven't selected the crib or anything yet):

Nick immediately decided that we needed to start a registry so we could save the bedding choice, so he opened us up an account. Now you must excuse me, I must remove the Play Station 3 from our BABY registry. (sigh) What will I do with him?

P.S. Yesterday I finally had a good day. It seems so far that all I have been able to do is think of all the bad things about pregnancy, delivery, and child rearing and worry worry worry (I hate to admit that, but it is true). However, yesterday was the first day in a long time where I felt joyous anticipation and happiness. Is it because my morning sickness has finally left for good (hopefully)? Was it the excitement of the flooring and new bedding and looking forward to preparing? I don't know, I just pray for many more of those days to come!

7 comments:

Dan and Gina K. said...

I love the bedding! It looks very similar to the Noah's Ark theme we picked out for Anna's nursery. She can't sleep without her animal blanket now!

Lilly said...

The bedding is so cute! It will look great for either a boy or girl. I am also so glad to hear you are feeling better. Your worries are normal (I still have them all the time), but it is good to be excited too! It is so fun....just wait!

Lynn said...

The bedding is so cute! I can feel your pain about the PlayStation 3 - Josh wanted to put a Nintendo Wii on ours hoping someone would buy the daddy to be a toy. He didn't get the Wii on the registry, but he did get to put an electronic on there - a video camera to capture all the cute moments for our family. Glad to hear you're feeling better and I worry about all the same things . . . all day, everyday :-)

Anonymous said...

Nick why stop at a PS3? those are important for logical thinking, eye finger reaction, basic football guidelines, and it saves space so you won't have to buy a blue-ray player (Candace, i am just trying to save you money). you should also put a Wii on the list for gross motor skills, eye/hand, and physical activity. While i was thinking about it getting the Xbox360 might not be a bad idea either to add on because the controllers are bigger and might be easier for the baby to use until he/she gains better control of her fingers. So, instead of taking the PS3 off the list you should add the other two. it is in the best interest of the child. Wait, wait, wait, those "old" style TVs are nice but they could cause strain on a child’s eyes and the color is not as nice. you should also pick up a 50 inch LCD with great color. This will cause less strain and the colors will be much brighter which should make a happier and smarter child. i might have read somewhere that, babies and children who see bright colors and shapes get more money for collage and are much smarter. Don’t get me started on the huge importance of surround sound, Beethoven, Bach, Garth Brooks? Just imagine what they could have done with surround sound as a child. Good luck Nick. I hope I helped
-Dave Timmerman

Jodi said...

I love it! As you know I agonized over crib bedding for months... and then since babies can't sleep with the bumper or quilt and you have to buy other sheets anyway... it ended up to be a lot of stress (and expense!) over a silly crib skirt. The joys of parenthood!
Now that you have a theme for the nursery you can have the fun of decorating. I can't wait to see the finished product with the new paint and floors!

Christy said...

Super-cute :)

Ashley said...

The bedding is adorable! LOVE IT!! I am so excited for you.