Friday, March 10, 2006

Honesty

It's such a funny thing. We always say we want it, but is that always the "honest truth"? I love my husband, I really do, but his honesty comes at sometimes unwanted times. Two specific instances come to mind:

Instance #1-I had just spent two hours making homemade lasagna (any of you who have attempted this culinary challenge know how involved this dish is)and I asked him if he liked it, as he hadn't said anything inbetween bites. He said, "Yeah, it's good. Did you use a recipe?" Mind you there are only two of us, so instead of making a huge 9X13 pan, I cut the recipe in half. Otherwise we would have been eating it for a month. I replied, "Well, sort of. I made it smaller for us." He says, "Oh...", to which I respond, "What?" -
N:"Well, it could use more sauce."
C:"MORE SAUCE?! Wait, let me make the amendment in my cookbook!"
N: "I don't see why you are getting all mad. Don't you want me to be honest?"
C:pause.....Ouch.......How do I respond to that? "No, husband, I don't want you to be honest with me? I don't think so." So I told him that I did want his honesty.

Instance # 2 - I'm getting ready for church, and decide on this black velvet dress I haven't worn in a while. Nick comes around the corner, looks at me, and says "Are you going to wear that?" No, I just put it on for fun. It's my "getting ready for church wear". Of course I'm going to wear it.
C:"What's wrong with the dress?"
N:"It looks like something a pregnant woman would wear." (Nice not only a put down to the dress, but a subtle innuendo regarding my size as well, even if not intentionally.)
C:"Alright master, what would you like me to wear?" (He hates it when I call him master)
N:"Anything but that dress."

What can I say, I have an honest husband. Even though my feelings have been hurt before, I know he really does mean well, and looking back - he was right. The lasagna did need more sauce, and the dress is certainly capable of accommodating a pregnant woman. In the end, I thank God for a husband who is honest, as brutal as it may be at times, and who can communicate with me. I can only wish that for others.

***Disclaimer. Let's get one thing straight. In no way do I mean that Nick is ALWAYS right. I'm was just trying to convey my appreciation for his honesty.

2 comments:

Dutch not German is said...

Perhaps Nick needs a talk with Spoda where the point is made that when a man faced with a question like,
"What do you think of dinner/how I look in this dress/does this make my butt look big?"
the answer is ALWAYS
"It's great,dear."
Why? Not because you want him to lie. It's because the question is ultimately not about your dinner or your rear. The question is girl-speak for
"Do you think I'm attractive/a good cook?"
And when you answer that question wrong, you be sleeping on the couch with Charles.

Anonymous said...

Als, poor young Nick. When he is as old as me and been married for 30 years he will know better than to use honesty all the time. I have not had an opinion in 19 years. Feel free to send him over for lessons