Wednesday, September 03, 2008

New Addition to the Moss Family



What? Yes, that's right. We have a new addition to our house - Bella the little black kitten. I know, I know. What were we thinking?!?! We are having a baby in 2 months! Why on earth would we be bringing home a new pet? Well, it all started when we went down to Sanibel Island this weekend for a mini vacation.....
We pulled into the parking lot of our hotel and when we got out, I noticed this little black kitten sitting in the parking lot. She seemed friendly, but Nick told me not to pet her. So, I didn't. :( The next day we saw her again as we were heading out to go to the beach. She must be the "hotel cat" I thought. There are lots of businesses that have a cat that lives at the business and entertains the patrons. At my parents' local library, they have a cat named Dewy that lives there. Well, when we got back to the hotel later that night, I just couldn't resist petting the sweet little thing. Much to my surprise she was even more skin and bones than she looked. This prompted me to ask the person at the front desk about her. They said they didn't know, the cat just showed up 3 or 4 days ago. Oh no! This poor little thing was just dumped! She hasn't eaten in days, and she's trying her hardest to find a good home for herself. That night I talked to Nick and said we couldn't just leave her. She would die for sure, or someone would hurt her. He said that she would be fine and that we don't need to bring home a new pet right now - we are about to have a baby. I said I realized that, but we have to do something. We went to bed and the next morning as we were packing the car, she was right there working her magic. Nick said "what are we going to do, Candace?" I said we need to take her home. And much to my surprise, he said "ok". She had apparently gotten to him, too. :) He is the one who named her after all - Bella (for Sanibel he says). He admits that she probably wouldn't have made it if we didn't take her. She was such a good kitty the whole way home. She sat right by my lap for the two hour car ride.
Now she is home and we are trying to fatten her up. Other than being awfully thin, she appears otherwise healthy - no fleas or ear mites, clean eyes and nose. Seems like we got her just in time. Nick is taking her to the vet today for an exam to see how old she is (My guess is 6 months, but I guess we'll see. It's hard to tell with her being so thin.) and to check for worms or other problems. We also have to schedule a time for her to get spayed and de-clawed in the front. I am just dreading that - I hate to see things in pain, but I know it needs to be done. I'm going to be awful with the baby.
So that is the big news around our house. We are all adjusting and working at potty training right now. Charles has been really good - hasn't lashed out at all, just seems annoyed. He comes in to eat, sees that she's still here, looks irritated, and goes back outside. I told him to get used to it because she isn't going anywhere.
It has actually been a nice distraction from the pregnancy. It seems that that was the only thing I could think about and worry with every second of the day, so this has been a nice. Now I have this to worry about. :)
Pictures to come from our little trip and of Bella. It's really hard to take her picture since she is ALL black. She's beautiful, though.

1 comment:

The Rueckerts said...

A cat and soon a little baby:-) How exciting! Hope all is well in Florida for you...and I hope you stay clear of the possible hurricane hits!!!
~Kendra