Thursday, October 26, 2006

What's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine....

Don't we often times have that attitude when it comes with God and money? I know I'm guilty of it some times. Nick and I are in the middle of a 10 week Bible Study on how to Biblically handle your finances. It's certainly been an eye opener, and a convicting but at the same time, growing experience. Who knew God has given us so much direct guidance through His Word regarding our (really His) possessions. Did you know that there are more than 2300 bible verses regarding money/possessions? Gee, I wonder why? I think that he knew us stupid, self-serving humans would have an ongoing struggle with this issue. It encompasses so much of our lives. We need money to feed, dress, and shelter ourselves. Everything we seem to do "costs" something. What should we spend the money that God has given us on?

I have always heard the term "steward", but never bothered to learn exactly what that word means. A steward is defined as someone who manages the assets of the master. How are you managing your Master's assets? OUCH.

As if I didn't think about money enough already, I now think about every purchase I make - is this a God-pleasing purchase? Though, I must admit, that this awareness has been a blessing. I worry about money much less than I used to because I know He is going to always provide. If I'm faithful, He has also promised to be faithful.

Nick and now have a "game plan" to get out of debt completely (something previously unimagined). I thought that we were doing pretty good - we don't have credit card debt, or debt on furniture, a t.v., etc. All we have is the house, the car, and student loans (lots of student loans - ON Concordia, and on and on and on!). I learned that "Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender." Proverbs 22:7 If you think about it, it does make sense. Just think of how much I could do for God if I wasn't paying all this money to creditors?

Everyone needs to learn what God's plan is for managing finances. I think it's one of those things that people don't like to talk about - it's taboo. How dare you tell someone what they should be doing with "their" money! They can handle it perfectly fine on their own, thank you very much! But if we are going to truly turn our lives over to God, that includes our finances. A really cool dude named Martin Luther once said that to love God there must be "A conversion of the heart, the mind, and the purse."

The study has been amazing so far, and I encourage everyone to learn more about God's will regarding your finances. The things He asks of us are sometimes not the easiest, and the world often screams the opposite message in our face, but with Christ all things are possible.

2 comments:

hannah said...

Are you doing the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace classes? I took them last year with my then roommate.

lubke-moss said...

No, we are doing a program by Crown Financial. I think there are some similarities with Dave Ramsey.

I guess your then roommate didn't learn much from Dave, eh?