Thursday, February 09, 2006

Ode to My Mom

I can say with confidence that I have a wonderful mother. Everyone should be as blessed as me. She means so much to me and I love her for so many reasons. She has always been my number one supporter through everything I have done. Whether it be changing my job to changing bedroom furniture around. She constantly builds me up and tells me that she is proud of me and loves me. Though I think she has always been my best friend, it has become more fully solidified the past couple of years. I know I can call her with anything, even if all I have are complaints and gripes over something. She listens to me and is always there to tell me everything will be o.k. She is the epitome of what it means to have faith and keep plugging along. Many trials have come and gone with new ones presenting themselves as we speak, but she has faced all of them with stregnth that I know can only come from God, and over come them all with pure Grace. She teaches me all sorts of useful bits of wisdom. One recent favorite of mine, "You may not be able to control everything your husband does, but know that he can't control everything you do either!" I love my mom. Only she could make me laugh with something like that. Though she often times thinks she's "a failure" (what ever that means) she is anything but. I don't know where she gets these crazy thoughts from. No one can be perfect, that's for sure, but just by making one mistake or not living up to what society views as success in no way makes one a failure. She has constantly reminded me that I "married my dad". She loves Nick and since he is a lot like my dad she has fun getting a rise out of him! :) This I just watch with amusement. Although she is very independent in her own right, she also portrays what it is to be a submissive wife. I have learned a lot from this. I have watched her faithfully support my father for the last 26 years, while at the same time doing her own thing. I think this is key to any successful marriage. If I am half as good a mother and wife as she has been, I will consider myself successful.

I love you MOM! Hope the rest of your week is better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sweet Candace Shea,
You are so sweet, and the warm fuzzy is so nice. :-) What a thing to live up to!! I try, Honey, and it is not always easy. You are right that God has given me the strength to endure much. Without HIM I know that I would just be a little puddle in some corner. He has also given me a wonderful earthly family for which I am so grateful and a man that tolerates me in all of my ups and downs. I know that I am truly blessed. You are one of my blessings and I love and cherish you and our friendship.Thank you for such an uplifting and sweet "Ode."