Sunday, January 24, 2010

Haiti

Some of you know that I (Nick) traveled to Haiti in May of 2006. It was a trip that changed my life and one that God used to change my view on this world. Unless you have been living under a rock located at the bottom of the ocean, then you know the devastation going on there right now. That devastation happened in the place that I spent a week building relationships with some amazing Haitians.

I have been praying for my friends in Haiti, as most of you have been...but I still have an uneasiness inside of me. How do I help? What do I do? If I go will I be helping or just in the way? What is better money or supplies? In a society of "right nowness" I want to help NOW. While not a bad thing, I wonder if it is my own self I want to help verses really helping those on the ground in Haiti.

I am writing this today to get this off of my chest, and to ask for your prayers as I seek God in how to help. Communication is slow coming out of Haiti and it is frustrating me. Pray that God would show me how to use the resources He has given me and my church to be most effective in being the Hands and Feet of Christ to the Haitian people.

If you haven't donated and want to, here are 2 great organizations that have people already working in Haiti. LCMS World Relief and Human Care (http://www.lcms.org/help/) and Beyond Borders- the organization that I went through on my trip to Haiti in 2006. (http://www.beyondborders.net/index.php)

I will also keep you all updated on when and if I have other ways to donate. I hope that in the next few weeks, God will show me how to use my love for Haiti for HIM.

Christ's Peace,
nick

Here are some Pictures from when I was in Haiti in 2006. We were in Meno, just outside of Jacmel....near the earthquake epicenter


No comments: